Manning Valley Neighbourhood Services Inc (MVNS) was established in 1979 as the Wingham Information Centre. MVNS has provided the Greater Taree City Council local government area (and surrounds) with information, referral, community development and support services since then – by community for community.We are a vibrant organisation providing services to the Manning Valley and based in Wingham.
Download: A printable version of our brochure (PDF, 188KB)
Who We Are:
- We are an incorporated body operating within constitutional boundaries.
- We provide a Neighbourhood Centre – a centre attached to a neighbourhood – we are an important part of the local community. Our main job is to know about the community and respond to the needs of local residents.
- We auspice community groups seeking to develop and improve their community.
- We develop and maintain networks, support and liaise with government and non-government agencies, to ensure effective and efficient service provision.
- We respond to all residents in our locality – our main job is to know about the community and its diversity and respond to the needs of local residents. We are not just about one particular type of service or one target group, but about developing a strong community. We use both government funding and local resources, such as volunteers, to help others in the community.
- We are a generalist organisation – we provide a core of basic information and support as well as a place to meet for anyone in the community. In addition, we provide a wide range of services (with some government funding), that reflect local needs. This makes us different from many other community organisations that may be set up to provide one specific service.
- We are a community development organisation – we work with people in our local community to support them in meeting their needs and to empower them.
- We are an independent community organisation – we have legal status as an Incorporated Association, which is owned and controlled by its local members. We choose to enter into contracts with government departments to deliver services.
- We are run by a community management committee – made up of volunteers from the community. This provides connection and accountability to the local community.
- We are flexible – because we are generalist, we can respond to an individual in a holistic way. We also can support people who do not fit other services.
- We are part of a network – we interact with other community organisations operating in the same locality, often on joint projects.
- We are a one stop shop – for community service information, support and referral.
Our Programs & Services
MVNS runs a number of community focused projects and support services including:
- Neighbourhood Centre and associated activities
- Information and Referral Services
- Community Education
- Social and Community Groups
- Support and assistance for migrants and refugees
- Avenues to improve legal outcomes for economically and socially disadvantaged people
- Programs and assistance for people in financial crisis
- Tax return assistance for low-income earners
- Community garden activities
- Opportunities to volunteer at MVNS
Current Committee of Management
MVNS is managed by a voluntary committee of management who are elected at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). The Manager and staff of the MVNS report to the Committee of Management.