Volunteer at MVNS
Manning Valley Neighourhood Services Inc. (MVNS) is committed to supporting and involving the community in its service delivery and runs variety of volunteer programs and opportunities. MVNS relies on volunteers wiith a wide variety of skills and is always seeking new volunteers to join our our team. Without volunteers the Neighbourhood Centre would not exist.
What is a volunteer?
There is no such thing as a typical volunteer. Volunteers come from all walks of life – people of all ages, occupational backgrounds, educational backgrounds, male or female, all ages, differing cultural backgrounds.
A volunteer is someone who provides a service to the community which is done of one's own free will for no monetary award.
Areas in which the Neighbourhood Centre relies on volunteers are:
- Management Committee – our Management Committee is a committee of diverse people drawn from the community.
- Office Volunteers – we are often looking for people to help in the neighbourhood centre office in Wingham. Duties include general clerical duties, and most volunteers have special projects they can sink their teeth into. Office experience is not necessary – training and support is provided.
- Tax Help – volunteers provide assistance to low income earners who want help completing their tax return. Full training is provided by the Australian Taxation Office here at the neighbourhood centre.
- Community Garden and kitchen – we are often looking for people who are interested in working in the garden and in our kitchen garden program.
People become volunteers for a variety of different reasons. While providing us with a service, volunteers receive something in return. For some this may mean a feeling of satisfaction from contributing to the community. Some join us because they feel isolated and volunteering is a way to make new friends and develop new interests. For others it is a way of developing new skills, or maintaining skills they have already. Volunteers may join an organisation because it provides opportunities to join forces in promoting a cause or bringing about necessary change.
If you are seeking employment, volunteering is a great way to learn new skills and, lets face it, looks great on your resume!
Volunteer Job Description
Just like paid employees, volunteers work within a Job Description that defines their duties, accountabilities and responsibilities. The volunteer positions we have at MVNS include:
- Administration Support (PDF, 176KB)
- Garden Activities Assistant (PDF, 126KB)
- Project Coordinator – Garden (PDF, 139KB)
- Garden Kitchen Assistant (PDF, 166KB)
- Garden and General Maintenance (PDF, 162KB)
- Project Coordinator – Garden Kitchen Project (PDF, 190KB)
Contact us for more information
If you want to learn more about volunteering with the Neighbourhood Centre, please call us (02) 6553 5121. We'd love to hear from you!
Volunteer Application Form
You can download the Volunteer Application form and return it to MVNS via email, in person, or by post.